The green card is a highly important document for lawful permanent residents of the US. It serves as proof of identity and authorization to work in the country. With it, you can travel in and out of the US with ease. However, if you lose your green card, it can be a troubling experience, so what do you need to do if you find yourself in this position?

What to Do First

First, you should report the loss of your green card immediately. This is important because it can be used for illegal activities, which may get it canceled. To do so, contact the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) via phone or email, and provide your personal details. You can also use the USCIS website to report the loss of your green card.

Filling out Paperwork

After reporting the loss of your card, the USCIS will require you to fill out form I-90. This form can be accessed online and requires details about your personal information and your previous card. You will also need to provide a passport-style photo and pay the application fee electronically. After the application goes in, you will receive an automatic receipt confirming that your submission has been received.

Fixing an Appointment

The USCIS will then send your Application Support Center (ASC) appointment notice. The notice will contain information about the time, date, and location of the appointment. You'll be expected to attend the ASC appointment, where your fingerprints, signature, and photographs will be taken. These details will be used to print your new green card.

How Long Can This Take?

The turnaround time for your replacement green card can vary, often depending on how busy the department is. However, if you need your card quickly, you can request an expedited service. This service is available in exceptional cases, such as an imminent need to travel.

Using a Dedicated Service

Additionally, you can turn to a green card replacement service. They will handle the entire replacement process and make sure you get your card quickly. These services offer personalized assistance for filling out the application, scheduling an appointment, and following up on your application. However, make sure that you only use reputable and authorized service providers.

What to Remember

If you've lost your green card, you may be stressed, but you don't need to be, as you can get a replacement. Remember to report the loss immediately, fill in form I-90, and attend your ASC appointment. However, it's often a good idea to use a green card replacement service, so seek one out for further advice.